I attended a great workshop at Worchester Polytechnic Institute (WPI, a very cool place) on Deep Energy Retrofits (DER). DER renovations involve super insulation techniques, high efficiency mechanical ( heat,A/C, ventilation, domestic hot water) and if executed well can bring the energy load of a home down by 70%. They also promote much healthier living spaces. A brief outline of the day’s lecture is below.
The principal speaker was Marc Rosenbaum is director of engineering, South Mountain Company . South Mountain is a cutting edge design build firm on Martha’s Vineyard. Marc has been a pioneer in building science and high efficiency building for more than 30 years.
I’m very excited to incorporate the techniques I learned today into our production details and sustainable practices.
Today’s lecture outline.
- Concepts and proven techniques for Deep Energy Retrofits that can achieve over 70% energy savings
- Transforming existing houses into efficient, healthy, durable, high performance living spaces
- Key challenges and techniques for cost effective results
- Utility incentives for DERs
- Strategies that can apply to any building project
- Energy savings results and non-energy benefits
Oh and free coffee …